Below are the steps to highlight a record in a continuous form without writing a class.
1. Make a continuous form and fill it with transparent background controls. Make sure that the source of the table has a unique identifier, like an Id or some sort.
2. Add two hidden controls, one is the Id mentioned in no. 1 and the other is an unbound control, you can call it “SelectedId”.
3. Add a special control, you call it “BackgroundControl”, position it at the back of the controls you want to highlight.
4. Disable and Lock the three controls mentioned in no. 2 and 3.
5. In the form current event add a simple code as shown below:
Private Sub Form_Current() Me.SelectedId = Me.Id End Sub
6. Now set the background character “█” to the background control mentioned in no. 3 by modifying it’s control source with the following
Below is the screen shot in design view and form view of my running Item Search form for a POS system.
You can add Key Codes so that you can use your keyboard to navigate through the record in highlighted fashion.
Thats it. Have fun coding.